COVID-19 related research and resources
This collection includes the latest news, research and resources from the Wittgenstein Centre (IIASA, VID/ÖAW, University of Vienna) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
WIC News on Covid-19:
- WIC Fact Sheet "Demographic Aspects of COVID-19"
08/08/2022: This fact sheet takes a closer look at the impact of the pandemic on people’s health, family dynamics, economies, and migration.
- Out now: European Demographic Datasheet 2022
07/06/2022: This issue focuses on the population consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Understanding modern infectious diseases and their impacts
08/03/2022: In this new study, David E. Bloom, Michael Kuhn and Klaus Prettner analyse the macroeconomic impacts and policy responses to modern infectious diseases.
- COVID-19 Baby Bust? How the pandemic affects birth rates and our demographic future
08/07/2021: Tomáš Sobotka was part of a panel discussing the COVID-19 baby bust.
- Corona Lockdowns: Baby boom or baby bust?
21/04/2021: Interview with WIC Researcher Tomas Sobotka.
- "Died from" or "died with" COVID-19?
20/04/2021: Markus Sauerberg on the mortality risk of COVID-19.
- What is the optimal intensity with which to lockdown, and how should that intensity vary dynamically over the course of an epidemic?
10/03/2021: This paper by Alexia Prskawetz, Gustav Feichtinger, Stefan Wrzaczek and colleagues explores such questions with an optimal control model.
- How to estimate the number of COVID-19 infected persons
08/03/2021: Interview with Miguel Sánchez-Romero.
- Covid reduces life expectancy but not years of life
16/02/2021: Interview with Marc Luy.
- An indirect method to monitor the fraction of people ever infected with COVID-19 published in PLOS ONE
01/02/2021: Tests for SARS-CoV-2 are considered an essential requirement for containing the pandemic. But can they detect all infections?
- Herd immunity: How far we really are from it
28/01/2021: Interview with Vanessa Di Lego and Miguel Sánchez-Romero.
- How long should a lockdown last?
04/12/2020: Interview with Alexia Fürnkranz-Prskawetz.
- COVID-19 and the human right to education
23/11/2020: Interview with Wolfgang Lutz.
- COVID-19 could cause declines in life expectancy in 2020 in severely affected areas
17/09/2020: This analysis published in PLOS ONE shows that the COVID-19 pandemic could cause a short-term decline in life expectancy in many regions of the world.
- COVID-19: Timing the lockdown...
01/07/2020: Interview with Alexia Fürnkranz-Prskawetz.
- Demographic Consequences of COVID-19
19/06/2020: IIASA and the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration hosted an online symposium on 29 Jun 2020.
- Age, gender and COVID-19 infections
27/05/2020: A new preprint by Tomas Sobotka et al. shows that in ten European countries, women of working age are more likely to be infected with COVID-19 than men.
- Why especially young people are affected by the COVID-19 crisis
12/05/2020: Interview with Bernhard Binder-Hammer.
- The COVID-19 epidemic intensifies existing inequalities
12/05/2020: Interview with Erich Striessnig.
- COVID-19 customized charts & data: New website to analyse the pandemic worldwide
07/04/2020: Compare the development of the COVID-19 pandemic across the world and create customized charts.
Find more information on the related research here: