The death of an individual is the ultimate depletion of his/her human capital. Moreover, it is the basis of individuals’ longevity and populations’ life expectancy which are the basis for individuals’ and populations’ longevity and the amount of healthy and productive life years. Therefore the research area Mortality plays a central role as the forces driving international trends in mortality are comprehensively studied, with a special emphasis on differentials by gender and level of education.
1. Will life expectancy continue to increase in the future?
2. Will the gained life years be spent primarily in good or in poor health?
3. What are the determinants of mortality and healthy ageing?
4. What is causing differentials in health and longevity?
5. Are these differentials caused independently or is their causation connected?